Boeing B-50 Superfortress
B-50 Superfortresses from Strategic Air Command deployed to Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, for 90-day rotations to support operations in Korea.
Heavy long range bomber B-50 Superfortress was deployed from the earlier war bomber B-29 Superfortress. KB-50s were B-50 bombers
modified as aerial tankers, generally after they had become surplus to Strategic Air
Command requirements. These alterations involved the removal of armament and the
installation of additional fuel tanks and probe-and-drogue equipment to permit the aerial
refueling by hose of up to three fighter-type aircraft at one time. KB-50s went into
service with the Tactical Air Command (TAC) in 1957. As the performance of operational jet
fighters increased, a J47 jet engine was installed under each wing on some KB-50s to boost
speed while refueling and to increase altitude capability. Hayes Aircraft Corporation
converted 136 tankers in this manner (KB-50Js and -Ks). Deliveries of these improved
tankers to TAC began in early 1958. They were replaced by jet KC-135 tankers in the mid-1960s,
but a few were still available in 1965 for use in Southeast Asia for emergency refueling
of fighters over hostile territory.
|Long range heavy bomber
|Four radial piston Pratt & Whitney R-4360-35 engines
|1,720 sq. ft
|159.8 sq. m
|Rate of climb
|combat (max. power)
|Total mission time
|Maximum load (bombs)
|Eight (pilot, co-pilot, engineer, radio-electronic countermeasures operator, left-side gunner, right-side gunner, top gunner, tail gunner)
|13x .50-caliber machine guns
NOTICE: The B 50 that is shown on this page is an RB 50 with the
1370th Photo Mapping Wing, Turner AFB, Ga from 1959 untill the middle to late 60s.
The wing was assigned to the MATS Command at the time. We had operations in many parts of the world taking pictures for map making and electronic measuring of distance for maps etc.
Copyright © All Rights Reserved